Sunday, August 1, 2010
World Breastfeeding Week
If you see a mama breastfeeding this week be sure to let her know it's world breastfeeding week and don't forget to tell her she's doing a great job!
This year's theme is "Just 10 Steps The Baby Friendly Way" this is in reference to the World Health Organization and UNICEF governed 'Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative' If you want your health authority to facilitate breastfeeding, write a letter requesting the Baby Friendly designation at your local hospital and health unit. If you want to go further call you hospital and health unit and find out how many of the ten steps they are fulfilling? Here they are:
Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
Every facility providing maternity services and care for newborn infants should:
1. Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff
2. Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement this policy
3.Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
4.Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within a half hour of birth
5. Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation even if they should be separated from their infants
6.Give newborn infant no food or drink other than breast milk unless medically indicated
7.Practice rooming in. Allow mother and baby to remain together 24 hours a day.
8.Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
9. Give no artificial teats or pacifiers to breastfeeding infants
10. Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or clinic.
"Just Ten Steps...."